Apollo 10 Objectives
Spacecraft Primary Objectives
1. To demonstrate crew/space vehicle/mission support facilities performance during a manned lunar mission with a command and service module and lunar module. Achieved.
2. To evaluate lunar module performance in the cislunar and lunar environment. Achieved.
Spacecraft Primary Detailed Objectives
1. P11.15: To perform primary guidance and navigation control system/descent propulsion system undocked descent orbit insertion and a high thrust maneuver. Achieved.
2. P16.10: To perform manual and automatic acquisition, tracking, and communications with the Manned Space Flight Network using the steerable S‑band antenna at lunar distance. Achieved, despite some problems during the 13th lunar revolution.
3. P16.14: To operate the landing radar at the closest approach to the Moon and during descent propulsion system burns. Achieved.
4. P20.66: To obtain data on the command module and lunar module crew procedures and timeline for the lunar orbit phase of a lunar landing mission. Achieved.
5. P20.78: To perform a lunar module active simulated lunar landing mission rendezvous. Achieved.
6. P20.91: To perform lunar landmark tracking in lunar orbit from the command and service module with the lunar module attached. Achieved.
7. P20.121: To perform lunar landmark tracking from the command and service module while in lunar orbit. Achieved.
Spacecraft Secondary Detailed Objectives
1. S1.39: To perform star‑lunar landmark sightings during the transearth phase. Achieved.
2. S6.9: To perform a reflectivity test using the command and service module S‑band high‑gain antenna while docked. Not achieved, canceled while docked. S‑band communications lost because steerable antenna track mode not switched properly; however, operation of steerable antenna during abnormal staging excursions demonstrated ability of antenna to track under very high rates.
3. S7.26: To obtain data on the passive thermal control system during a lunar orbit mission. Achieved.
4. S11.17: To obtain data to verify inertial measurement unit performance in the flight environment. Achieved.
5. S12.6: To obtain abort guidance system performance data in the flight environment. Achieved.
6. S12.8: To demonstrate reaction control system translation and attitude control of the staged lunar module using automatic and manual abort guidance system/control electronics system control. Achieved.
7. S12.9: To perform an unmanned abort guidance system controlled ascent propulsion system burn. Achieved.
8. S12.10: To evaluate the ability of the abort guidance system to perform a lunar module active rendezvous. Achieved.
9. S13.13: To perform a long duration unmanned ascent propulsion system burn. Achieved.
10. S13.14: To obtain supercritical helium system pressure data while in standby conditions and during all descent propulsion system engine firings. Achieved.
11. S16.12: To communicate with the Manned Space Flight Network using the lunar module S‑band omni antennas at lunar distance. Achieved, despite some problems during the 13th lunar revolution.
12. S16.15: To obtain data on the rendezvous radar performance and capability near maximum range. Achieved.
13. S16.17: To demonstrate lunar module, command and service module/Manned Space Flight Network communications at lunar distance. Achieved, despite some problems due to procedural errors.
14. S20.46: To perform command and service module transposition, docking, and command and service module/lunar module ejection after the S‑IVB translunar injection burn. Achieved.
15. S20.77: To obtain data on the operational capability of VHF ranging during a lunar module active rendezvous. Achieved.
16. S20.79: To demonstrate command and service module/lunar module passive thermal control modes during a lunar orbit mission. Achieved.
17. S20.80: To demonstrate operational support for a command and service module/lunar module orbit mission. Achieved despite some communication problems.
18. S20.82: To monitor primary guidance and navigation control system/abort guidance system performance during lunar orbit operations. Achieved.
19. S20.83: To obtain data on lunar module consumables for a simulated lunar landing mission in lunar orbit to determine required lunar landing mission consumables. Achieved.
20. S20.86: To obtain data on the effects of lunar illumination and contrast conditions on crew visual perception while in lunar orbit. Achieved.
21. S20.95: To perform translunar midcourse corrections. Achieved. Only one of four possible midcourse corrections was required.
22. S20.117: To perform lunar orbit insertion using service propulsion system/guidance and navigation control system controlled burns with a docked command and service module/lunar module. Achieved.
Launch Vehicle Objectives
1. To demonstrate launch vehicle capability to inject the spacecraft into the specified translunar trajectory. Achieved.
2. To demonstrate launch vehicle capability to maintain a specified attitude for transposition, docking and spacecraft ejection maneuver. Achieved.
3. To demonstrate S‑IVB propellant dump and safing. Achieved.
4. To verify J‑2 engine modifications. Achieved.
5. To confirm J‑2 engine environment in S‑II and S‑IVB stages. Achieved.
6. To confirm launch vehicle longitudinal oscillations environment during S‑IC stage burn period. Achieved.
7. To verify that modifications incorporated in the S‑IC stage suppressed low frequency longitudinal oscillations. Achieved.
8. To confirm launch vehicle longitudinal oscillation environment during S‑II stage burn period. Achieved.
9. To demonstrate that early center engine cutoff for S‑II stage suppressed low frequency longitudinal oscillations. Achieved.